The importance of marriage in the lives of young couples cannot be overstated. However, numerous individuals encounter challenges when it comes to gathering sufficient funds for their children’s weddings. In Punjab, there is a substantial number of families facing financial difficulties in this regard. In order to aid these economically disadvantaged families, the government of Punjab has recently introduced a novel welfare initiative. Through this scheme, eligible individuals will receive financial aid from the state authorities specifically designated for wedding expenses.
The implementation of this fresh welfare program will be expedited in Punjab at the earliest opportunity. The official declaration was issued towards the end of November 2017. In Punjab, the scheme can be accessed by the SCs, STs, and other Minority Welfare Department. The proclamation occurred in the presence of the state’s Chief Minister.
- 1 What is Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab?
- 1.1 Why is the Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Important?
- 1.2 Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab: An Overview
- 1.3 Benefits & Features of inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
- 1.4 Eligibility Criteria for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
- 1.5 Necessary Documents for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
- 1.6 How to Apply for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
- 1.7 Links to Apply for Information Related Inter-Caste Marriage Punjab
- 1.8 Contact Details for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
What is Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab?
The condition for the scheme, which required candidates to have an annual income of Rs.5 lakh, has been removed by the government.
However, an important initiative to promote inter-caste marriages involving dalits has been taken by the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment of the Indian Government. They have decided to make the scheme accessible to everyone without any income limit. Under this new rule, all couples where either the bride or the bridegroom is a Dalit can now avail the one-time incentive of Rs. 2.5 lakh. The State Unit of Dr. Ambedkar Foundation has also received a letter informing them about this change.
Why is the Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Important?
The capacity of the Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme to dismantle caste divisions and foster societal cohesion is its key significance. A pivotal role in mitigating the prejudice and marginalisation experienced by the SC and ST communities is played by the embracing of inter-caste marriages. In addition, an environment of inclusivity and acceptance is cultivated by these unions, which fosters a more diverse and tolerant society among different factions. Through such alliances, the elevation of social and economic standing for the SC and ST communities is observed, as they are able to access enhanced opportunities and resources through their spouses. Moreover, these matrimonial bonds contribute to the integration and unification of India by nurturing a shared sense of identity and cohesiveness among disparate segments of society.
Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab: An Overview
|Scheme Name||Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab|
|Relevant Department||Social Justice and Empowerment Department|
|Launch of Plan||2017|
|Objective||Encouraging inter-caste marriages and removing the wrong mentality spread in the society|
Benefits & Features of inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
• The disadvantaged classes in Punjab are set to be empowered through the implementation of this program, ensuring that those who are poor and in need from backward classes will no longer have to worry about raising funds for their weddings.
• Addressing the financial aspect of marriages, the government of Punjab has decided to provide monetary assistance to couples belonging to the SC caste. This assistance will be extended even in the case of inter-caste marriages.
• Each couple selected by the respective welfare department will receive a sum of Rs. 75,000 as announced. However, the full amount will not be disbursed at once.
• To facilitate the matrimonial arrangements, an amount of Rs. 15,000 will be provided to the NGO or organisation responsible for organising the marriages. This amount will be given for each couple they assist.
• A sum of Rs. 65,000 will be allocated to the couples to cover the expenses of purchasing essential items for their future life. This amount can be utilised for acquiring jewellery, wedding attire, and household necessities.
• The organisation of these weddings will be carried out with the assistance of NGOs and other designated institutions, working closely with the state government. They will be supervised by officials from the respective department.
• The entire scheme is financed by the Punjab government, which not only manages the administrative tasks but also provides the necessary funds for the implementation of the program.
Eligibility Criteria for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
•To be considered eligible for this program, one of the spouses must be a member of the SC community, while the other spouse must belong to a different caste than their own.
•In order to apply for this initiative, it is obligatory to reside in Punjab state and possess a valid proof of residence.
•Both spouses must meet the legal age requirements for marriage. The bride should be 18 years or older, while the groom must be 21 years or older.
•The application form specifies a prerequisite of submitting account details for a jointly held bank account in a nationalised bank.
•For the purpose of validating their marriage, both spouses must present a certified registration certificate issued by an authorised body.
•Valid certificates issued by competent authorities that prove caste and income status are indispensable for program eligibility.
•Both spouses are required to submit their Aadhar cards as proof of identity, along with at least one witness UID (Aadhar) card.
•To establish their residential details, both spouses must provide appropriate documentation such as ration cards, voter ID cards, etc., that indicate their permanent and current addresses.
Necessary Documents for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
•For the application process, it is necessary for the applicants to provide their residential certificates, which confirm their legal residency in this state.
• Every candidate must submit their age certificates along with the form, as the government permits marriage only for individuals above the legal age limit.
• Either the bride or the groom must belong to low income groups, therefore they are required to attach their income certificates to the application.
• The state has made it mandatory to attach the BPL certificate to ensure that the monetary assistance is granted to economically disadvantaged candidates.
• There are certain caste-related criteria that need to be met, therefore all candidates must also enclose a photocopy of their caste certificate.
• As per the central government’s announcement, all candidates interested in availing this financial assistance must possess their Aadhar cards, which will be required for registration.
How to Apply for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
•The first step entails opening a page similar to the one described.
•Next, proceed to the New User Single Sign On (SSO) portal and select the Register option.
•This will lead you to a new page where you can choose to log in using Jan Aadhar, Bhamasha, Facebook, or Google.
•Upon successful login, click on the Utility option.
•Subsequently, select Advanced Search and choose Utility, Social Justice & Empowerment Department.
•Proceed to the following page and click on the Application Form button.
•The application form will then appear, requiring you to enter all the necessary information accurately.
•Do not forget to upload the necessary documents such as the marriage certificate, affidavit of husband and wife, district certificate, and the husbands’ and wives’ 10th certificates.
•Finally, after providing all the required details, submit the form by clicking on the appropriate option.
•By following these steps, you will successfully complete the online application process for the Inter Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab.
Links to Apply for Information Related Inter-Caste Marriage Punjab
Contact Details for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
Department of Welfare of SC’s and BC’s,
Room No. 27, Floor-7th,
Punjab Civil Secretariat, Chandigarh.
Department of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Room No. 253, A-Wing,
Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi – 110 001.
FAQs Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Punjab
1.How can I get money for intercaste marriage in Punjab?
To be eligible for this program, the combined earnings of the couple must not exceed Rs. 5.0 lakhs or the specified threshold determined by the respective governmental authority. Only those who have submitted their applications within one year of marriage (or within the designated timeframe set by the state, which may vary in some regions to 18 months) will be eligible for the incentive.
2.Is 10 lakh given for inter caste marriage in India?
With immediate effect, inter-caste couples who decide to get married will now be entitled to a monetary reward of Rs 10 lakhs, which is an increase from the previous incentive of Rs 5 lakhs. The 2023-24 Budget, announced by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, included this provision, subsequently followed by the issuance of a notification by the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment.
3.What is the new rule of intercaste marriage?
In independent India, inter-caste or inter-religion marriages have always been permissible, as declared by the Supreme Court of India. The court emphasised that these marriages hold great significance for the nation’s unity and are in the best interest of the country.
4.How to apply Dr Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration through inter-caste marriage?
According to Dr. Ambedkar’s proposed plan for promoting social integration through inter-caste marriages, either the male or female partner must possess an SC certificate. It is important to note an additional requirement: if the female partner is from the SC caste, then the male partner must not come from the same caste, or vice versa.