The Inter Caste Marriages scheme under the Dr Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration was initiated in the year 2013, with the official announcement made by Mr. Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India. In the presence of his ministers, the program was launched, and the responsibility of overseeing all activities and operations of this scheme has been entrusted to the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, a key department within the Indian Government. Any modifications to the scheme features or the selection process of beneficiaries will require the approval of the Social Justice & Empowerment Ministry and the head of the Dr. Ambedkar Foundation.
- 1 What is the Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme?
- 1.1 Why is Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme Important?
- 1.2 Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme: An Overview
- 1.3 Central Govt. Data on Inter Caste Marriages
- 1.4 Benefits & Features of Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
- 1.5 Eligibility Criteria for the Application of Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
- 1.6 Required Documents for Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
- 1.7 How to Apply for Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
- 1.8 Links to Apply for Information Related Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
- 1.9 Contact Details for Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
What is the Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme?
In order to promote inter-caste marriages involving dalits, the Central Government has made the decision to provide an incentive of Rs. 2.5 lakhs to every couple where one party belongs to the dalit community. Previously, this scheme exclusively targeted couples with an annual income below Rs. 5 lakhs. However, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has now decided to extend this scheme to all couples without the income requirement, aiming to encourage inter-caste marriages involving dalits. As per the revised provisions of this scheme, couples who have married outside their caste, with one party being a dalit, may avail a one-time incentive of Rs. 2.5 lakhs.
Additionally, various states have implemented similar schemes that do not impose any income limitations. These schemes were initiated with the intention of assisting and providing support to couples who have bravely defied social stigma by entering into inter-caste marriages, especially in the early stages of their marital journey.
Why is Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme Important?
The significance of the Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme lies in its ability to break down caste divisions and encourage social cohesion. By embracing inter-caste marriages, prejudices and marginalisation experienced by the SC and ST communities can be alleviated. These unions not only promote inclusivity and acceptance but also create an environment that fosters diversity and tolerance among the various factions within society. Through such alliances, the SC and ST communities also experience an improvement in their social and economic status as they gain access to better opportunities and resources through their spouses. Additionally, these matrimonial bonds play a role in integrating and unifying India by cultivating a shared sense of identity and cohesiveness among different segments of society.
Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme: An Overview
|Scheme Name||Dr Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration through Inter Caste Marriages|
|Relevant Department||Social Justice and Empowerment Department|
|Launch of Plan||2013|
|Objective||Encouraging inter-caste marriages and removing the wrong mentality spread in the society|
|Launch bt||PM Narendra Modi|
|Official Website||Dr Ambedkar Foundationhttp://ambedkarfoundation.nic.in › i…ambedkarfoundation.nic.in/icms.html|
Central Govt. Data on Inter Caste Marriages
•The release of caste-based data in the Socio-Economic and Caste Census by the Central government is absent. Consequently, the availability of precise information regarding inter caste marriages in India remains elusive.
•Based on the data provided by the National Family Health Survey (NFHS-III), inter caste marriages in India account for 11% of the total.
•In certain states like Jammu & Kashmir, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Meghalaya, and Tamil Nadu, approximately 95% of married couples choose to marry within their own caste (Jati).
•Additionally, states like Punjab, Sikkim, Goa, and Kerala demonstrate a commendable performance, with 80% of couples opting for marriages within their own caste.
•The Central government is actively striving to revive this initiative and bring an end to the traditional practice of marrying solely within one’s own caste (Jati) or sub-caste (Up-Jati).
Benefits & Features of Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
• The eradication of caste inequality is crucial for the development and progress of Indian society. Therefore, the promotion of inter-caste marriages is highly encouraged. The implementation of this program marks a significant step towards achieving this goal. Incentive schemes like this will serve as a catalyst for the younger generation to embrace progressive steps.
• Young couples who choose to enter into inter-caste marriages often face rejection and hardship from their families due to the rigid caste system in India. However, with the assistance of this grant, these couples will no longer have to worry about facing financial adversity during the initial stages of their marriages.
• The central government will be responsible for funding all operational activities and financial requirements of this welfare scheme. The necessary funds will be allocated from the central government coffers. Each state or union territory will receive the allocated funds for its implementation.
• One of the primary objectives of this scheme is to promote equality among all castes. By doing so, the central government aims to eliminate caste-related prejudices and provide a level playing field for all individuals.
• The central government has announced that a total of 500 couples will benefit from this grant. The selection process will be based on the percentage of SC population in each state or union territory. Couples from all areas will have an equal opportunity to receive this grant.
• If selected, each couple will have the chance to receive a substantial amount of 2.50 lakhs from the central government. This grant will be awarded in two separate instalments, providing financial stability to the couples.
• Initially, the central government has decided to implement this scheme on a pilot basis for a duration of two years. Success in meeting the objectives will result in granting regular scheme status.
• The responsibility of arranging a formal wedding ceremony and distributing the grant money will lie with the district authority in each state or union territory. The respective department from the central government will transfer Rs. 25,000 to the local administrative body for each couple who receives the grant.
Eligibility Criteria for the Application of Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
•A marriage between individuals of different castes, as defined by this program, refers to a union in which one spouse belongs to a Scheduled Caste and the other belongs to a Non-Scheduled Caste.
•The marriage must be legally recognized and officially registered under the Hindu Marriage Act of 1955. The couple is required to provide an affidavit proving their legal and marital status.
•No benefits are available for second or subsequent marriages.
•Proposals submitted within one year of the marriage will be considered valid.
•The decision to grant the incentive to the couple rests with the Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment and Chairman of Dr. Ambedkar Foundation.
•Providing false or fabricated information to the appropriate authority is punishable by law.
Required Documents for Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
• The names of both the bride and groom must be included in the application form as proof of their identification. To validate these claims, applicants must submit photocopies of their identification documents, such as Aadhar card, ration card, driving licence, voter card, or PAN card.
• To establish their place of residence, applicants must also attach copies of their residential certificates, which indicate their state of origin, along with providing details of their personal identification.
• Given that the purpose of this scheme is to promote caste equality, both the bride and groom are required to present their caste certificates, with at least one of them belonging to the SC category.
• Proof of age for both the husband and wife must be included, allowing the verification committee to ensure that the marriage occurred when both parties were of legal age.
• As there is an income-related eligibility criteria, the couple must provide income certificates bearing the seal of the local authority to authenticate their earnings. If both partners are employed, each should provide a separate certificate.
• As only first-time marriages are eligible for this financial assistance, applicants must produce documents proving that neither the man nor the woman has been previously married.
• Only applications made within one year of the marriage will be accepted, and marriage certificates must be attached for easy verification by the officers. These certificates include the dates of the marriage.
• Details of a joint bank account, in which both the bride and groom are named, must be provided. The financial grant will be deposited into this account and given to both individuals. Accordingly, the name of the bank, specific branch, account number, branch code, and IFSC code must be provided.
• Alongside these documents, applicants are required to submit recommendation letters. These letters should be issued by either the MP or the MLA in the respective area.
Furthermore, a recommendation letter from the Chairman of the Social Welfare Department in the state or union territory, or from the District Collector or District Magistrate, is also
How to Apply for Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
1. The complete application, along with a recommendation from a current Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly, should be directly submitted to the Dr Ambedkar Foundation.
2. Before forwarding the application to the Dr Ambedkar Foundation, the state Government or District Administration should furnish their recommendation, which will accompany the application.
3. All complete applications are thoroughly reviewed and submitted to the Chairman of the Dr Ambedkar Foundation and the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment for further processing.
4. Upon approval, the total amount of Rs 2.50 lakhs will be transferred to the beneficiary through Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS).
Links to Apply for Information Related Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
Contact Details for Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
Shri Bharat Lal Meena, Director
Room No. 637, A-Wing, Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi – 110001
FAQs Dr Ambedkar Foundation Marriage Scheme
1)What is the central government scheme for intercaste marriage?
A sum of Rs. 2.50 lakh per marriage will be provided as a reward for those who enter into a legal inter-caste marriage. Once a pre-stamped receipt on Rs 10 Non-Judicial Stamp paper is obtained, the couples who meet the criteria will receive 1.50 lakh of the incentive through RTGS / NEFT to their joint bank account.
2) Is the government giving 2.5 lakh for intercaste marriage?
Revisions have been made by the Central government’s Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to the previous scheme known as “Dr. B.R Ambedkar Scheme for Social Integration through Inter Caste Marriage”. Consequently, a sum of Rs 2.5 lakh will be provided by the government to couples, where either the bride or the groom belongs to the Dalit community.
3) Which state gives 10 Lakh for Inter-Caste Marriage?
In the state of Rajasthan, a sum of 10 lakh is provided for inter caste marriages.