The conventional practice in Hindu culture regarded marriage as a sacrament, but under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, it now holds the potential to be considered a contractual agreement. Nonetheless, marriages continue to primarily occur within the boundaries of Jatis (castes) and up-jati (sub-castes), indicating the inseparable connection between marriage and Jati Vyavastha (caste system) rooted in religion.
Encouraging inter-caste marriages can serve as a substantial measure towards diminishing caste-based biases, eradicating the practice of ‘untouchability,’ and disseminating principles such as liberty, equality, fraternity, and more within society.
- 1 What is Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi?
- 2 Why is the Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Important?
- 3 Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi: An Overview
- 4 Benefits & Features of inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
- 5 Eligibility Criteria for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
- 6 Required Documents for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
- 7 How to Apply for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
- 8 Links to Apply for Information Related Inter-Caste Marriage Delhi
- 9 Contact Details for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
- 10 FAQs Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
What is Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi?
Under this scheme, couples belonging to different castes are eligible to receive a one-time financial incentive to encourage and support their decision to marry inter-caste. The scheme aims to address the deep-rooted prejudices and discriminatory practices that still persist in Indian society.
One of the key objectives of this scheme is to challenge the rigid caste-based hierarchies and promote social integration. By providing financial assistance, the government aims to alleviate some of the financial burdens that couples may face when choosing to marry inter-caste.
In addition to the financial incentive, the inter-caste marriage scheme also offers various other forms of support. This includes counselling services, legal assistance, and protection from harassment or threats from those who oppose inter-caste marriages.
By implementing this scheme, the Delhi government hopes to create a more inclusive and tolerant society where individuals are free to choose their life partners based on love and compatibility, rather than being constrained by caste boundaries.
It is important to note that this scheme is not only a symbolic gesture, but it also holds significant practical implications. It has the potential to challenge and reshape societal norms, paving the way for a more inclusive and progressive society.
In order to receive the benefit offered by the Program, couples who have entered into an inter-caste marriage must complete the required application form. This form can be obtained from the office of the local Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) and must be attested by a Gazetted Officer before submission to the same SDM office. Additionally, the applicants must provide relevant documents such as their marriage certificate, caste certificate issued by the Deputy Commissioner’s Office, and identification proof, all of which must comply with the terms and conditions of the scheme. The application should be submitted within two years from the date of the marriage.
According to the Program, a monetary incentive of Rs. 50,000/- will be granted to eligible couples. The list of qualifying couples will be compiled by the SDM office and forwarded to the Department for the Welfare of SC/ST/OBC/Minorities, which will then authorise the respective Deputy Commissioner to disburse funds according to the number of approved cases at a rate of Rs. 50,000/- per case. The completed application forms will be securely stored at the office of the respective SDM.
Why is the Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Important?
Inter-caste marriages have long been a topic of discussion and debate in society, and their significance cannot be overstated. In a country like India, where caste divisions have historically played a significant role in shaping social hierarchies, inter-caste marriages have emerged as a powerful tool to challenge and break the barriers that have held communities apart for generations.
These marriages between individuals from different castes have the potential to not only foster love and companionship but also promote social integration and harmony. By transcending the boundaries of caste, inter-caste marriages challenge the deeply ingrained prejudices and discriminatory practices that have plagued Indian society for centuries.
Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi: An Overview
|Scheme Name||Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi|
|Relevant Department||Social Justice and Empowerment Department|
|Launch of Plan||2021|
|Objective||Encouraging inter-caste marriages and removing the wrong mentality spread in the society|
Benefits & Features of inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
•The Grant is implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, as well as the Chairman of Dr Ambedkar Foundation, in order to support eligible inter-caste married couples.
•If anyone provides or uses false or fabricated information, they can be prosecuted according to the current law.
•The government provides financial assistance to eligible inter-caste married couples, offering a one-time grant of Rs. 30,000. Upon receiving the funds, the couples must agree to certain terms and submit to the Local Self-Government Institution (LSGI).
•The grant can be utilised for several purposes, including starting a business, buying land, or constructing a house.
•The LSGI ensures that the allocated assets are used for the aforementioned purposes.
Eligibility Criteria for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
•Compulsory is the registration of marriages in the Office of the Registrar.
•Incentive can be applied for by couples engaged in an inter-caste marriage within two years from the date of their marriage.
•Either the husband or the wife from the couples engaged in an inter-caste marriage should be a permanent resident of NCT of Delhi.
•If a person engaged in an inter-caste marriage belongs to another state, their mother and father should have been residing in NCT of Delhi for the last five years.
•The non-SC spouse, whether a husband or a wife, belonging to another state should provide proof that their caste is not considered untouchable in the state they belong to and that they follow the Hindu religion. After marriage, such a person will have to reside in NCT of Delhi.
•The widow or widower, up to the age of 35 and without children (Santan), can benefit from the incentive under this scheme after entering into an inter-caste marriage.
•At the time of the release of the fixed deposit amount, the engaged couple should provide proof of living together after their marriage.
Required Documents for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
• In order to establish their identities, applicants must provide proof of identification by including the names of both the bride and groom in the application form. Additionally, photocopies of identification documents such as Aadhar card, ration card, driving licence, voter card, or PAN card should be submitted for verification purposes.
• To confirm their place of residence, applicants must also attach copies of their residential certificates indicating their state of origin, along with providing personal identification details.
• In line with the scheme’s objective of promoting caste equality, both the bride and groom must present their caste certificates, with at least one of them belonging to the SC category.
• To ensure that the marriage took place when both parties were of legal age, proof of age for both the husband and wife must be included for scrutiny by the verification committee.
• Considering the income-related eligibility criteria, the couple must provide income certificates endorsed by the local authority to authenticate their earnings. If both partners are employed, each should obtain a separate certificate.
• Only first-time marriages are eligible for this financial assistance; therefore, applicants must furnish documents demonstrating that neither the man nor the woman has been previously married.
• Applications can only be accepted within one year of the marriage, and marriage certificates must be attached to streamline the verification process. These certificates should include the marriage dates.
• Details of a joint bank account, wherein both the bride and groom are account holders, must be furnished. The financial grant will be deposited into this account and disbursed to both individuals. Accordingly, information such as the name of the bank, specific branch, account number, branch code, and IFSC code is required.
• Alongside the aforementioned documents, applicants are obligated to submit recommendation letters. These letters should be issued by either the MP or the MLA of the respective area. Furthermore, a recommendation letter from the Chairman of the Social Welfare Department in the state or union territory, or from the District Collector or District Magistrate, is also mandatory.
How to Apply for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
•The first step entails opening a page similar to the one described.
•Next, proceed to the New User Single Sign On (SSO) portal and select the Register option.
•This will lead you to a new page where you can choose to log in using Jan Aadhar, Bhamasha, Facebook, or Google.
•Upon successful login, click on the Utility option.
•Proceed to the following page and click on the Application Form button.
•The application form will then appear, requiring you to enter all the necessary information accurately.
•Do not forget to upload the necessary documents such as the marriage certificate, affidavit of husband and wife, district certificate, and the husbands’ and wives’ 10th certificates.
•Finally, after providing all the required details, submit the form by clicking on the appropriate option.
•By following these steps, you will successfully complete the online application process for the Inter Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi.
Links to Apply for Information Related Inter-Caste Marriage Delhi
Contact Details for Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
B-BLOCK, 2ND FLOOR, VIKAS BHAWAN,
GOVERNMENT OF NCT OF DELHI DEPTT.
I.P.ESTATE NEW DELHI-110002
FAQs Inter-Caste Marriage Scheme Delhi
How to apply for an Inter Caste marriage scheme in Delhi?
In accordance with the Hindu Marriage Act of 1955, the marriage must adhere to legal guidelines and undergo proper registration to be deemed valid. The couple will provide an affidavit as evidence of their lawful union in matrimony. However, it should be noted that no benefits or incentives are offered for second or subsequent marriages.
What is the inter-caste marriage scheme in Delhi 2023?
Scheme for Inter Caste Marriages in 2023 – Grant of 2.5 Lakh Rupees for Dalit Weddings. The objective of this program is to recognize the commendable societal progress and support newlywed couples during the early stages of their married life. One of the prerequisites to benefit from this scheme is that it must be the couple’s first marriage.
Does the wife ‘s caste change after marriage?
As per legal statutes, the response remains the same. Per the pronouncement of the Supreme Court, an individual’s caste is unalterable and maintains its steadfastness even in the context of matrimony.
What are the disadvantages of inter-caste marriage?
Introducing the 2023 Initiative for Inter Caste Marriages – Offering a Generous Rs. 2.5 Lakh Aid for Dalit Unions. This remarkable scheme aims to applaud the remarkable commitment of engaged individuals despite sociocultural barriers and provide much-needed support to newlyweds during their early marital journey. A prerequisite for eligibility is that this must be the first matrimonial union for the participants.