The Inter Caste Marriage Scheme in Meghalaya is a progressive initiative aimed at promoting social harmony and unity by encouraging marriages between individuals belonging to different castes. This visionary scheme not only celebrates diversity but also seeks to provide essential incentives to couples who choose to marry inter-caste. Among the key incentives offered under this scheme is a substantial financial benefit of 2.5 lakh rupees, which is granted to eligible couples. This financial support serves as both an acknowledgment of their courage in transcending societal barriers and a means to facilitate their journey towards a brighter future together. In addition to these incentives, the scheme also entails various eligibility criteria and documentation requirements, all geared towards ensuring the success of inter-caste marriages in Meghalaya.
Procedure for Inter Caste Marriages Scheme Meghalaya
– Deserving couples should open a joint bank account or convert an existing account into a joint one and link it with their Aadhaar card.
– To apply in person, visit the Social Welfare Department office in your area.
– Contact your local panchayat office for application details. Visit the provided webpage, select your district, and access contact information under “ABOUT DISTRICT” > “Who’s Who” or “DIRECTORY > PUBLIC UTILITIES > Municipalities.”
– Consult with the designated authority at the respective office to understand the application process.
– Obtain the application form or write the required information on a plain A4 sheet as advised.
– Complete the application form and attach the necessary documents listed in the “Required Documents” section on the webpage.
– Submit the application and documents to the designated authority.
– Authorities will review the application and documents to determine eligibility. If eligible, they will accept the application.
– You will receive a record number as an acknowledgment for future reference.
– The application will be processed further.
– The incentive will be sanctioned based on the application details, local enquiry, and records.
– You will receive SMS updates on your application status.
– Ground-level verification and local enquiry will be conducted by department authorities.
– Based on the verification outcome, the department will forward the proposal with recommendations to the sanctioning body, which will evaluate and decide on the incentive.
– You will be notified of the approval or rejection via SMS or applicable norms.
– If approved, the incentive will be credited to the joint account of the couple in installments as per government norms.
– Typically, no fees are charged for this procedure.
– The timeline for completion depends on the department’s work schedule and budget allotment.
Eligibility for Inter Caste Marriage Scheme Meghalaya
- Eligibility requires both spouses to be Indian citizens.
- The applicant must be a permanent resident of the respective state.
- Inter-caste marriage is recognized when one spouse belongs to a scheduled caste and the other to a non-scheduled caste.
- The marriage should be legally valid and registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
- Couples with a valid marriage registration certificate are eligible.
- To apply, the couple’s total income should be less than Rs. 5.0 lakhs or the amount set by the state government.
- Incentives are granted if the application is made within one year (or 18 months in some states) of marriage, based on the state’s timeline.
Required Documents for Inter Caste Marriage Scheme Meghalaya
- Address proof of the couple: PAN Card, Driving Licence, Bank Passbook, Electricity Bill, Telephone Bill
- Identity proof of the couple: Voter ID, Passport, Aadhaar card, Driving licence
- Inter-caste marriage certificate
- Marriage certificate from a gazetted officer to confirm it is the first marriage
- Certificates of age issued by authorized officers as per authorities’ guidance
- Certificate of educational qualification issued by authorized officers as per authorities’ guidance
- Caste certificate of the couple
- Income certificate
- Marriage photo
- Marriage registration certificate
- Ration card
- PAN card of the couple
- Voter ID
- Domicile or residence certificate
- An affidavit from the couple confirming their legal marriage and matrimonial alliance
- Bank account passbook
- Passport-size photographs
- Combined photograph of the husband and wife
- Aadhaar card
Contact for Inter Caste Marriage Scheme of Meghalaya
Social Welfare Department,
Directorate of Social Welfare,
Shillong – 793001
Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Room No. 253, A-Wing,
Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi – 110 001.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.Who is eligible to apply for the Inter Caste Marriage Scheme in Meghalaya?
Any couple where one spouse belongs to a scheduled caste and the other belongs to a non-scheduled caste is eligible to apply for the scheme.
- What incentives are provided under this scheme?
Eligible couples can receive a financial incentive of 2.5 lakh rupees to support their inter-caste marriage.
- Is there a time limit for applying for the scheme after marriage?
Yes, couples must apply within one year (or 18 months in some states) of their marriage or as per the timeline fixed by the respective state to be eligible for incentives.
**4. What documents are required to apply for the Inter Caste Marriage Scheme in Meghalaya?**
– The required documents include address proof, identity proof, inter-caste marriage certificate, marriage certificate from a gazetted officer, certificates of age and educational qualification, caste certificate, income certificate, marriage photo, marriage registration certificate, and various other documents as specified by the authorities. It’s essential to provide all necessary documentation for a successful application.